Do you think that North Korea will become less stable after Kim Jong Il's death?

Thursday, May 20, 2010

August 14, 1945



Is today really the day? I do not know. For some reason, I cannot describe what have happened today with mere words. To just say “His Excellency declared Japan's surrender on radio” does no good, because although it describes today in concrete terms, there is no way that the description captures the full range of emotions stirring all around my head.

To readers who have no idea what I am talking about, I should recap: This morning, his Excellency, the Son of the Sun-Goddess, broke his imperial silence on radio. I do not remember if this is the first time the Japanese emperor has ever broken his silence, but that was not the shocking part. The Emperor of the Rising Sun has asked for surrender. What was I doing back then? The usual officer's routine: inspecting, meeting at a weekly conference, bowing to his Excellency for selfless strength in battle, so on. Even after the Americans murdered hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians with only two blockbusters, and just when Russians are swarming Manchukuo, it feels business at usual in the HQ down in Osaka.

What now? Should I celebrate, now that there lies hope for independence for my homeland after all these years? Not so fast. As second lieutenant in the Imperial Army, I know very well how ruthless my superiors can be, since some of my older comrades talk about the atrocities they order on whim. (Thank goodness I have not been there to witness) Living under such disciplined psychopathy for over 40 years, the Korean people may not be the most forgiving, especially to “traitors” who served the Japanese war machine.

The draftees would obviously be let go, but I am a graduate of military school and now holds the rank of lieutenant, all before the war even started. In my opinion, those who did so out of love for Japan and betrayal of Korea should face some sort of charges. But I do not love Japan. Life is harsh for a family of tea-pickers, so one of their sons is obligated to find a way to pull his family out of the cycle of poverty. Surely this person would not be branded a traitor for his service to his family.

But what if I am wrong? Will the newly risen kingdom (or republic?) really going to press charges on someone with keen military experience on a flimsy basis of bad karma? It is definite if those bloodthirsty Russians fully overwhelm the peninsula, but improbable if the Americans stop them in time. Only time will tell on which side the coin lands.

No comments:

Post a Comment