Do you think that North Korea will become less stable after Kim Jong Il's death?

Thursday, May 20, 2010

August 15, 1948


Today, Dr. Rhee Syngman became the first president of the Republic of Korea. For me to follow national politics to a point of responding to a news at the first opportunity, even I am surprised of this, since my comrades, family, and I always thought of myself as a rather pragmatic, apolitical person. Yet, I am guessing that my sudden interest in domestic politics must be instinct telling a clear message about the days ahead.

The Reds currently hold numerous advantages over the Republic. Their portion of the peninsula, the northern region, has been industrialized by the Japan, whereas our portion is still mired in agrarian poverty. Their ideology apparently appeals to the lower classes, thus explaining how I see workers' marches at least once a week around here. Though these are only rumors as of now, the communists even received tanks, artillery, and heavy war machinery from the Russians, while the ROK army does not even own a single tank. Lastly, I may be apolitical, but I could imagine how ruthless can communist troops be in any country. While serving at an Osaka military HQ, I have heard of how Russians massacred and deported not only Germans, but also Poles, Ukrainians, and other people they were actually supposed to liberate.

Dr. Rhee's election may be a wise decision for the sake of national security, since as a longtime American resident, he must have a great deal of ties with the Americans. Another wise decision would have to be the amnesty to Koreans involved in the Japanese Imperial forces. Okay, I am just saying this since I was second lieutenant during World War II, but just like so many of my Korean compatriots in the Imperial Army, I can contribute valuable military experience to this nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment